Monday, December 29, 2014

Retro swirl

Firstly thank you for the lovely comments about my silk dress.  They meant a lot to me.

I sewed quite a lot in 2014, but didn't blog much.  The one thing that will drive me away from blogging is the lack of a tripod or a willing photographer!!  I do like this dress a lot more than the look on my face suggests.

It is a trial run of Simplicity 1651.  I've used a pretty floral print crepe bought from my favourite fabric charity The Fabric Cave.  I had enough left over to make a mini skirt for my daughter who refuses to take or pose for blog photos.

I'm still deciding which piece of fabric for the final version and need to make a few minor adjustments to the bodice. There is not enough yardage in any of the pieces being considered to make the full skirt, so I may blend my self drafted pencil skirt rather than the gathered slimline skirt from the pattern.  I also plan to make up the half circle skirt from this pattern as a winter skirt. It fits and feels so good.

Now let me swirl around one more time!

19 comments:

  1. I have just discovered your blog & love the things you are making. I see you are a big Burda fan . Ihave not tried their patterns yet, but they are on my list for 2015 . Thanks for the inspiration. I hope you will wear the silk dress again it
    looks great & the good memories will surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this dress very much. You look very pretty in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful -- can't believe it is just a trial run! I have to say that a tripod is a wonderful thing for taking blog photos. Before I received mine last Christmas, it was challenging to convince my husband to get out to take photos, and then when he did, he somehow transformed into a rather demanding fashion photographer who insisted on "directing" me on how to pose, etc.! I love my tripod. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love twirly dresses and skirts for dancing and yours looks wonderful. Ah, yes, the perennial photographer dilemma. I'd like to blame my slogging blogging this past year on that challenge...but it's just as likely that I didn't want to take the time to "pose."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour and gorgeous shoes! I love that bodice detail. Twirl away....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous color on you and I love your red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful summer dress. Three cheers for the wearable toile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go the 'swirl'. This is a great dress and lovely to see you smile in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red is a good choice and very flattering on you. The dress is lovely and so feminine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely red dress and looks much better than a toile, enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My niece acquired a selfie pole which enables you to take very good selfie with your phone via blue tooth . I am amazed that such thing exists however might be good for blogg pics .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gail this is a lovely dress on you.I love the fabric and the style ...just the kind of dress I love but my lifestyle just doesn't fit. Do get a tripod. It saves such a lot of headache. My husband doesn't mind taking photos but I feel much more at ease taking selfies using mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful and I look forward to seeing more versions. The fit looks perfect and the bodice detail is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely summer dress Gail. Very nicely constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee your daughter sounds so much like mine. I picked up a really cheap second hand tripod last year and that has helped heaps with my photographs for the blog. Your dress is beautiful, yay for wearable muslins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress is gorgeous! That is certainly a very wearable trial.

    ReplyDelete