Saturday, June 1, 2013

Its a jungle out there


I look a little cross don't I?  Well I won't tell you what my husband said as he took this photo.

My annoyance has nothing to do with my new jacket - Burda February 2009 109 which I'm rather pleased with despite its awfully long gestation.  Firstly taking four years to trace off a pattern I loved, then taking four attempts to overcome some construction problems. 

Everything was going remarkably well until I attached the collar and neck facings.  Despite very carefully marking out my seam lines and joins with tailor's tacks I couldn't make it fit into place.  Four unpickings and some further adjustments later I finally tamed the beast into submission.

I've had the fabric for while, vintage heavy cotton that doesn't crush easily and performs well under the needle.  The lining also came from my favourite fabric charity.  It was also great to use my favourite buttons in stash which I bought on sale years ago with no particular purpose in mind. They are rather flash black with greyish mother of pearl centres and I had just the right number for this project.

I have some left over fabric and eventually will make a tie belt for the jacket so that I can also wear it open over a singlet for a more casual look.  Not sure when I'll get around to it.  Winter has arrived in Sydney and I need some warm weather gear.  I've made a short list of potential projects and will cut something out tomorrow.  I've been travelling a bit for work lately which takes me away from the sewing machine.  When I'm in country NSW I try to buy something from the local fabric store or haberdashery.  Never is  it more of a pleasure than in Armidale when I visit Fabric Fair.  The range and quality is stunning. I bought a beautiful piece of gold guipure lace and a lovely print jersey and if I wasn't running for plane would have bought more!


21 comments:

  1. Very smart jacket and can see it ready for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very nice, love the fabric and style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Men!! Whatever his smart remark was, it doesn't take away from the beauty of your jacket. Great piece. I have a feeling this will be one that you'll shake your head wondering why you didn't get it finished sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful jacket and it suits you so well. Burda do have some nice patterns from time to time and I will go and look for your pattern in my magazine stash. Who knows, perhaps I will also make a jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great looking jacket. I love it. I have a ponte knit that has the same print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful jacket! I love the sleeves and the belted style. Great fabric choice as well. I remember this pattern -- I haven't thought about it in a while, but after seeing your version, I may need to revisit this one! I used to travel to New York a lot for work and loved being able to tack on short visits to the garment district there. I can't wait to hear what you decide to make with your gold guipure lace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks great! I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of this and look fabulous doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving it! Inside looks as good as the outside-that's skill. Your perseverance paid off. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember making the jacket myself. Have worn it with pleasure and hope you will do the same. It looks very good on you. Nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely. And well done on getting it out of the ufo/stash pile and into the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't it feel good to cross something off your list, especially when it looks this good?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its lovely Gail, beautifully made and beautiful on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks just lovely, and the fabric does sound really divine. How lucky that you had exactly the right number of buttons! It was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great jacket - Love the little extra details of the pockets and button flaps . Great to have to used all your stash as well - very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very nice jacket that looks lovely on made in a great print :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gail, This is a winner and you look great in it. Wink

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great jacket. Love the belted look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice indeed. Smart - love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great jacket! I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like that jacket, must go and dig out my old Burdas. I often feel silly smiling away at the camera when I am taking photos for my blog, but if i do a serious face I always look really annoyed too!

    ReplyDelete