Monday, June 24, 2013

Frocking up for High Tea



Thanks to the fabulous organisation of Kristie at Lower Your Presser Foot the Sydney sewers braved the wet weather to attend high tea at the American Club. 

For those of us who don't have many friends or colleagues who sew, it was such a pleasure to meet with so many like minded talented and creative women.

I'm pictured with Maria wearing her very special Laura Nash design Fifth Avenue dress.  Maria is member of my Australian Sewing Guild Group.

My dress is a bit special too, made for the occasion from Butterick 5521.  Its a reversible polyester brocade, so I had the opportunity to play around with the design by using the pattern reverse on the side panels and the sleeves.  The dress is fully lined with a lightweight polyester lining.

I highly recommend the pattern and will definitely make a sleeveless version in summer.

Also enjoyed meeting Lizzy who wore an exquisite 1950s lace dress  and Christie who suggested an informal fabric and notions swap and ensured that I left with more fabric and patterns than I arrived with! 

There were many other lovely women present and I hope that I will see them again - making my sewing world less virtual. 

Next up I have a Burda colour blocked ponte dress under construction and need a blouse to wear with my new Burda pencil skirt, so that I can show it off.  Happy sewing to my real and virtual sewing friends!





15 comments:

  1. look at all those happy faces... what a lovely time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you and Maria look great all frocked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it a wonderful afternoon? It was so exciting to meet up with the many faces I have seen in the virtual world. I really enjoyed meeting up with the folk who are passionate about sewing. I'm really looking forward to our next meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress does look amazing and it was a wonderful way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fabulous dress! I've got such a soft spot for double sided fabrics, and the darker circular panels look wonderful in this fabric. How much fun is high tea with other sewing enthusiasts!! If you all do this again sometime soon, I might have to pop up and join you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great Gail. I love how you used the fabric on this slim fitting dress. Excellent fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is beautiful, Gail. It's very flattering and you look amazing - and Maria too. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon over fancy food with sewing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fantastic to spend time with like minded ladies, and it was so inspiring too being around so many self made garments. Your dress is absolutely smashing, I loved the contrast black panels and the use of both sides of the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't it fun - instant friends! Your dress is fabulous, and I'm glad your photos turned out well because my photos got corrupted in the file tranfer process :(. I'm really really sorry, I was hoping to be able to email some lovely pics to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun meeting. You and Maria look so elegant. I totally missed Butterick 5521 and looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was so lovely to put voices to faces! Just delightful to meet you and loved your dress. I felt like a cheated wearing my vintage dress but it's a great excuse to wear it and certainly makes a talking point!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone looks so lovely -- how fun!

    ReplyDelete