Sunday, August 19, 2012

Black linen nirvana

I blame it on the cherry blossoms.  One look at the lovely splay of pink and I'd packed away my wool stash and reached for linen.  A whole spring wardrobe plan has been going around like a duloop inside my head.  Lovely linens and silks that have been waiting in the cupboard for just this moment turning into pants, tops, jackets and dresses.   But I must not get ahead of myself. 
I have been searching for the perfect pants pattern for years, but never achieved a fit that was flattering, wearable, and super comfortable.  So I decided to look closer to home.  Kenneth King's Jeanius course on Craftsy.com inspired me to look at pants in the cupboard that fit and feel great.  I can't tell you how pleased I am with my new black linen pants, self-drafted from a well worn pair of grey slacks.  The linen is top drawer, thickly woven Italian - found at a dressmakers fire sale in Brisbane. I love the way they hang.  I've bound the waistband and fly seam with some snakeskin print ribbon, but the majority of the seams are overlocked.  The only thing between these pants and nirvana is the absence of pockets. Next pair...or pairs.  I have some white linen, which I will line and some beautiful grey wool bought on the Goldhawk Road in London.  Happy sewing...I know I am.

17 comments:

  1. Well done, Gail! They look great. You're a brave woman wearing linen pants. On me they'd look like I slept in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a great pair of pants and yours are truly great. Congratulations on reaching nirvana!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pants, Gail! You are looking hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, you clever thing!

    I have a book on how to "rub off" from an existing garment but have yet to bother trying. You have obviously got the hang of it, no problem. And trousers! And they look fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the trousers... very ab fab! Clever you, self-drafting your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have achieved what many others only dream of...pants that are happy with. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great trousers and so glad you had success with the drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you get those perfect fitting pants, you feel like you've conquered a huge sewing battle. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking pants Gail. I love linen but oh the wrinkles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail; I wrote this on my blog too in case others were interested, but in reply to your question: sorry! but no I did not remove any sequins.. since they are all sewn on by hand with the same thread linking lots of neighbouring sequins, to cut any of the threads within the fabric would lead to the surrounding sequins gradually dropping off over time... and eventually bald patches around your seams. For that reason for my slip stitching of the edges; I sewed through each of the holes of the sequins on the cut edges of my fabric to help keep as many as possible on there. I should have noted that in the post, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great Gail! I'm hanging on to some more summer sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'd love to have a pants pattern that fits well. My few attempts this year have been ok but far from perfect. Your fit looks fabulous. Such a versatile piece of clothing too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic pants! It is so difficult to find/make pants that fit well -- these look great on you.

    ReplyDelete