Friday, February 24, 2012

Spice of life



A while back, before my steely determine to focus on only essential wardrobe sewing, I signed up for a bag sewing workshop with my sewing guild.  A group of us got together today with Monica Poole working from a single pattern Spice of Life Moon Shine bag.  It was amazing to see the variety of styles that we came up with - from traditional cotton quilted bags to leopard print faux fur to my own woven upholstery carpet bag.

I'm really quite proud of my foray into bag making, although confess to leaving off the inner pockets in order to complete the magnetic closure by the end of the workshop.  The fabric and even stiff wadding made for hard going and I broke four needles in the making.  Not sure how many bags I will make into the future, but this is definitely not my last.

Meanwhile back at real sewing ranch, my faux leather skirt is nearly finished and looks great with the gold blouse and these funky vintage 80s three toned brown suede court shoes I found in a bag of junk in my garage.  My Beignet has just been unpicked and re-pinned as it was way too big.  Frankly I am worried about the Beignet as the high waist may not be the easiest look for me to pull off.  We shall see.

Happy sewing ladies!

14 comments:

  1. Very nice bag indeed ..... 4 broken needles sounds dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks wonderful! Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cool bag. I love the orange piping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a very versatile bag that will go with lots of outfits, so hopefully the 4 broken needles will be worth it in the end!

    I have a Beignet in the queue for the spring, too. I'm also not sure about the high-waisted look on me, but I figure worst case scenario, I can always wear it with my shirts untucked over it like I do with all of my other skirts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bags always seem so easy...that is, until you start sewing and the broken needles start piling up. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been unsure about the beignet due to the waist, maybe I will wait for your premiere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag looks great and even better in real life, very impressed with your piping.

    Looking forward to the skirt reveals, particularly the faux leather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, nice bag with a pop of orange-love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Love your bag. Good fabric choices Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really wonderful bag! Very professional looking, and stylish.

    I have just ordered all the stuff for a Beignet. Goodness knows when I'll next have time to sew, though. I hope yours turns out to suit you better than you expect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very nice bag. Love that fabric, it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This bag is gorgeous! Gail I've chosen you as a recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award. I hope you don't mind. If you want it you can grab it by visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! Gail this bag is so professional. A dead ringer for a designer one!

    ReplyDelete