Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm so lucky

My lovely blogger friend Cindy sent me 2 1/2 yards of beautiful silk tweed for my Chanel challenge jacket. The colours are much more muted than they appear in the photograph. It arrrived from the US just in time as my muslin is completed.

Spring is on the way here, so I am making a three quarter sleeved version of Simplicity 4954, a simple classic Chanel style with no closure. I am considering plaiting three colours of super-fine pleated chiffon for the trim. I want a light and feminine feel. The plan is to wear with a matching chiffon blouse and white trousers.

I'm also working on a BWOF June 09/108 blouse which is 50th birthday present for my friend of 37 years Dianne. I really need to finish this before the weekend. I'm using fabric almost identical to the one published in the magazine. She lives 700 miles away, but we spent a girls weekend in Noosa recently and I was able to do a tissue fit.
My other major project is my dress for DD's valedictory dinner. I went into David Jones (major department store) and tried on a Dianne Von Furstenberg dress in this style.
While it looks rather simple in this picture, the one I tried on was in a beautiful floral silk and worn unbelted, looked very elegant and understated. At $545 I couldn't contemplate buying it, but will make my own. I have a gorgeous piece of silk in beige, red and pink that I will use. I am drafting the pattern at the moment. Interestingly the workmanship wasn't too great for a garment of that price. While it was lined, the sleeves were attached only with an overlock stitch. I will wear the dress with my Sophie Kyron necklace that I wore at my youngest daughter's Bat Mitzvah.



19 comments:

  1. That will make a beautiful spring jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is just beautiful. Absolutely perfect for a Chanel jacket. I like the idea of plaited chiffons too - so pretty! This is going to be one gorgeous jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabric and the dress is lovely,can't wait to see your interpretation. I miss DJ's.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric! I love the idea of the plaited chiffon for trim. The thing that most impresses me though, is that you are brave enough to wear white pants! I can't wear white without spilling something on it. I still haven't started on my jacket, but it's on the list for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that fabric for your jacket. It will go with so many different pairs of slacks and skirts or over dresses! You have a very lucky friend to be getting a hand made gift from you !
    I can't wait to see your dress! That necklace is beautiful!
    I hate it when I purchase something that is shoddily made, especially if I've spent more than I should have on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your necklace!! I tell you...accessories are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabric is so beautiful! How perfect for spring. Love the DVF dress - can't wait to see your version. Especially with that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This fabric is wonderful, and I love the dress you showed in the previous post. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fabric looks beautiful --- it will make an amazing jacket. The dress style looks cool as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! can't wait to see the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that I've found your blog - I've really enjoyed reading your posts. The projects that you are currently working on sound great - I love the fabric you have chosen for your jacket. Lucky you that spring is on the way - for those of us on the other side of the world the days are starting to get much shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That tweed is beautiful. Your friend Dianne is very lucky. Have you looked at the DVF site...it is one of my favourites to browse for fashion inspiration. The postage from EmmaOneSock is usually less than their shopping cart predicts. The service is fabulous. I usually pick the 7 - 10 day option unless the fabric is out of season with us and I know I won't need it for a while...then I go for shipping instead of airmail, but that does take a long time. I usually buy 3 pieces in one go to spread the shipping cost across a few items. The fabric is always more gorgeous than I am expecting. I've never been disappointed in what I have received, although the rayon blend knit does pill a little. A lot of Linda's fabrics sell out really quickly, so you need to browse frequently and order straight away if you see something you like. I guess you have access to fabric shops locally that I don't, so you would not be so dependent on on-line fabric shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the silk dress..hmm I think you may have planted the seed for another idea! Can't wait to see how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cant wait to see all of it done. i think u really should enter the wardrobe contest with these. the plan is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful fabric. Lucky you to have a friend like Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers. CNC Turning service

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you need. Block Molding Machine

    ReplyDelete