Sunday, May 24, 2009

Finished at last!

After lots of mini stints at the sewing machine my BWOF 11/08 jacket is now completed. I'm still waiting for the my covered buttons from Tessutis. They will be ready to collect on Monday 1 June. They are two-tone in the tweed with black silk on the outer edge. Overall I'm really happy with it except for a slight problem with the hang of one pleat at the hem line. I'll probably unpick and try to rectify this. Will post another photo when the buttons are on.

In the meanwhile I whipped up this great jacket blouse in about an hour using fabric bought from Fabric Fair in Armidale. Rita the shop owner is very knowledgable and trades in the good quality wools, linens, silks, cotton and knits. She is starting up a website if Armidale NSW is a little off your beat. I also bought a gorgeous silver cotton with with an embroidered border to make up for a cocktail function later in June. The sleeves and trim are from a great black knit from my other spiritual home Tessutis and the buttons are self covered from the grey frill. I didn't use a pattern for this, just a t-shirt block and shirred the waistline underneath the frilled layer.

Both jackets look great with the black pencil skirt I made in March, so I guess I have a bit of a SWAP happening.

My young sewer has abandoned machine for the pencil. This picture is of her latest self-portrait hanging at a local youth art award. She didn't win a prize but was hung on the same wall as the winners in this category. She is a very creative child. So far I'm resisting the urge to finish the dress that she cut during the holidays. What to do?


Still travelling - this week to Brisbane (my old home town) and Australia's capital Canberra.





8 comments:

  1. Nice jacket. Good to hear that you were able to finish it. Your daughter is cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous jacket! I love the frills on the second one. I never think to make things like that. I will check out Fabric Fair. Armidale isn't too far from here and in fact I am thinking of returning to university studying externally through UNE, so a six monthly visit to Armidale would be on my schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket looks terrific. It is good to know about Fabric Fair, especially the website!
    I have an almost skirt in a bag that my daughter cut out in the Christmas holidays. I have threatened to throw it out, but she claims she will sew it when the weather warms up. I am hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has come out really nicely. I take my hat off to anyone who sews a BWOF jacket - not just the tracing, but the instructions! You have to be really inspired to put yourself through those instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jacket is perfect!! I love the frilly one too. Wow cudos to your talented daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jacket is beautiful. Love the color and texture of the material.
    Your daughter's portrait is very well rendered. I think it speaks volumes that it is up there on the wall with the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jacket looks great. Thanks for the link to fabric fair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both jackets are great! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete